Tracing a line back
mother to mother to mother.
Family names lost to history
with their marriage.
Bearing future generations
a legacy to their husbands.
Who saves the mother’s name?
Who passes her family on?
Mother to daughter to daughter.
Stories told while baking bread
or learning to stitch a hem.
Neatly written names on the
inside cover of the Holy Bible.
This is for my grandmothers. I’m sharing this with the poets at One Stop Poetry. From their blog:
Here’s how One Shot Wednesday Works:
1. Write an original poem and post it to your blog
2. Link back to One Shot Wednesday from your post
*Since participation has increased drastically since Week 1, please try to keep it down to”One Shot” —meaning one poem per person
3. Sign up in the Mr Linky list (use the URL from your blog) linking directly to your post, AFTER you’ve posted it. Mr Linky will be open from 5pm EST Tuesday (10pm UK) until 3am EST Thursday (8am UK). If you need help with this, please ask in the comment box.
4. Go visit others that have posted. This is a great way to learn new forms, meet new poets, and gain inspiration for your next piece. Though this is not mandatory we encourage you to visit at least one other poet and give some helpful feedback.
5. For some of you I need to stress – don’t feel that you need to comment on each poem, take your time and enjoy reading.